Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Down Syndrome

I'm a parent of a Down Syndrome baby. I've been lucky but know that many hardships are still ahead. I feel that many parents may feel that finding positive reinforcement to be difficult and wanted to start a blog for others who might need it.

My baby has been cranky lately. He's wiggling and creeping, trying to crawl. He rolls around and has definite wants. He's very specific about what he wants to play with, he talks (not words yet, mostly momma and dadda when he's upset) to people when they talk to him.He's eight months old today. Many of you will know this is incredible for him. He's pretty much where he needs to be.

I want to talk to other parents who want encouragement or someone to listen. My nephew also has down syndrome. He's eight years old. He's incredible. However, she had a much harder time with him, so I've seen both ends of the spectrum and feel I can be a good support for others.

My mother-in-law and I have done some research for help and support and found some awful sites. One place a mother had been told to "Not ge attached to it." other sites were discouraging. We already know our children have a hard row to hoe, we need someone to help us give himher the tools that'll give the best chance they can have.

1 comment:

  1. My Sister had Downs. Her struggles were memorable and not fun. She grew up before mainstreaming and for lack of a better word she was a closet child. My Grandparents raised her. Long story. When they pasted away she started to grow, moving to a family adult home, then into a apartment working at Freddy's department store. She married and then at the top of the happiest part of her life, she died of cancer.

    ReplyDelete